Kent Association for the Blind's one-to-one support services for people who are blind and partially sighted are available throughout Kent, Medway and Bromley. We provide trained one-to-one enablers to support sight impaired people to achieve the highest level of independence, helping to reduce isolation and risk.
Who could benefit?
Any adults with sight impairment who are experiencing difficulty with everyday living, accessing information or getting around safely. Sight Support is available to people living in their own homes, in supported living or in a residential setting.
"It's important to me and my family to have this kind of support ... they never take over, they just put me back on track and I do things for myself."
Our staff are trained to provide a service tailored to suit individual needs. This includes a professional sighted guiding service, support with equipment, low vision aids, and an understanding of the practical and emotional aspects of living with a sight impairment. Our Sight Support workers enhance the work of our rehabilitation teams, enabling individuals to maintain and improve their skills and abilities.
A Sight Support Worker can assist a person to maintain and improve their independence by offering support with:
- Maintaining and enhancing daily living skills,
- Accessing facilities and participating in the community,
- Shopping and checking food sell by dates,
- Budgeting and managing home affairs,
- Getting around safely and using public transport,
- Dealing with correspondence,
- Maintaining or improving mobility and taking exercise,
- Using low vision and environmental aids,
- Accessing information in appropriate formats,
- Participating in social and leisure pursuits,
The service is available seven days a week. The minimum booking is one two-hour session per fortnight.
"I love the independence of managing my time and going where I want to, without feeling that I am putting pressure on my own family."
Sight Support is available following an assessment by KAB staff to check the service is able to meet users needs. Individuals may be eligible for assistance with funding through Local Authorities, by Direct Payments, Personal Budgets or they may purchase privately.