X Toggle High Contrast Mode
S Skip to Main Content
1 Home Page
3 Site Map
9 Contact Us
0 Access Keys
Kent Association for the Blind

Images of glasses on a diary with an eye test reminder, two men with a magnifier and two women talking over paperwork

The benefits that you could claim if you are aged 16 to 64 and sighted impaired:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit aimed at helping you with the extra costs caused by illness or disability - including sight loss. It replaces Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64. For more information about PIP visit RNIB's website.

The Government is also replacing a number of means tested benefits with a single new benefit called Universal Credit. You may be eligible for it if you are on low income. It doesn't matter whether you are working or unemployed. For more information on Universal Credit visit RNIB's website.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is for people of working age who are unable to work becuase of disability or illness. Universal Credit is replacing income related ESA.

The impact (or not) of the benefit cap on blind and partially sighted people

The Government has placed a limit on the total amount of benefits that most people of working age can receive. This benefit cap affects a large number of benefits for people aged 16 to 64 and covers your entire household.

The good news is that you should be exempt from the benefit cap if you receive a benefit such as PIP, DLA or the support component of ESA. As many sight impaired people successfully claim these benefits, this means that the impact on people with serious sight loss should be minimal.

Purple crocuses with text saying 'Leave a Legacy' underneath

Three men dressed as a carrot, bunch of grapes and a tomato

Young visually impaired boy holding up his artwork with the text 'Wall of thanks' underneath