X Toggle High Contrast Mode
S Skip to Main Content
1 Home Page
3 Site Map
9 Contact Us
0 Access Keys
Kent Association for the Blind

Images of glasses on a diary with an eye test reminder, two men with a magnifier and two women talking over paperwork

Is it common to lose your eyesight during a stroke?

It is estimated that two out of every three people who have a stroke will experience some form of sight impairment as a consequence of the stroke. People who have suffered a stroke that affects the right side of the brain or more likely to suffer sight problems. However, it is important to remember that the sight impairment will often resolve itself in time.

Is there treatment or surgery to correct my visual loss?

Sight impairments resulting from a stroke are not caused by a problem with the eye itself but by damage to the brain. Because of this there are not at present any cures for the sight impairments. However, there are various techniques and pieces of equipment that can be used to try to help or compensate for the various visual effects of stroke. A KAB Rehab worker will be able to provide details of these and advise you on how to use them.

Contact your local KAB team

When will I be able to drive again?

You cannot drive for the first month after you have had a stroke. After that, you should see your consultant or your doctor who will be able to advise you on whether it is safe to drive again. If you are still recovering after the first month then you need to tell the DVLA what has happened.

More information about driving

Since my stroke I have been diagnosed with Hemianopia which is affecting my mobility, what support is available?

Each KAB team has qualified Mobility Officers that show you how to keep mobile and be safe in the home, garden and when you're out and about.

Contact your local KAB team.

Staying mobile when out and about

I feel that my vision has deteriorated since my stroke. Should I be registered as blind?

You should discuss this with your Consultant Ophthalmologist. If you don't have one then your GP can arrange a consultation. A Consultant Ophthalmologist is the only practitioner who can assess and issue a Certificate of Visual Impairment to recommend registration.

Registration as sight impaired

Since my stroke, I am finding it very difficult to cope with my communication and daily living skills. Where can I find practical support?

The Stroke Association provide communication support groups in your local area. In addition, KAB Rehab teams can conduct a specialist assessment of needs and provide appropriate training and support.

Contact your local KAB team

Contact the Stroke Association's South East Regional Centre

Purple crocuses with text saying 'Leave a Legacy' underneath

Three men dressed as a carrot, bunch of grapes and a tomato

Young visually impaired boy holding up his artwork with the text 'Wall of thanks' underneath