X Toggle High Contrast Mode
S Skip to Main Content
1 Home Page
3 Site Map
9 Contact Us
0 Access Keys
Kent Association for the Blind

3 images of mobility training using a cane, tactile communication, and a man being shown how to use a magnifier

KAB's Rehab services

Rehabilitation (usually called just ‘Rehab') is the process of learning to live with reduced vision or total blindness so you can remain independent.

KAB has a dedicated team of Rehabilitation Workers who are trained to work with visually impaired people and their carers to help them manage the emotional and practical aspects of sight loss, and achieve greater independence and a better quality of life.

KAB Rehabilitation Workers can give advice and instruction on how to deal with everyday tasks. They are able to demonstrate equipment and to suggest ways of solving practical problems in the home from putting toothpaste on a toothbrush to cooking a 4-course meal!

KAB’s rehabilitation work is commissioned by Kent County Council, Medway Council and The London Borough of Bromley. KAB works with these local authorities to maintain a register of sight impaired people and also completes statutory assessments of need on their behalf. If you live in Kent and need support with your social care assessment or with an issue relating to your sight impairment, you may be eligible for the Kent Advocacy service. To discuss a self referral for a professional Advocate to work with you, contact the provider SEAP on 0300 3435714 or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

KAB has three rehabilitation teams throughout the region, based at KAB Sight Centres in Maidstone, Canterbury and Bromley, with additional offices in Gravesend and Medway. All three teams provide comprehensive rehabilitation services, their support includes:

  • Assessment of individual needs,
  • Advice and information on eye conditions and living with sight loss,
  • Training in all aspects of daily living and communication,
  • Mobility training in schools, in the workplace, and at home,
  • Low vision assessment,
  • Equipment provision, demonstration and advice,
  • Welfare rights and benefits advice,
  • Training in access technology,
  • Registration as sight impaired or severely sight impaired,
  • Support, advice and information for parents, carers and professionals,
  • Environmental assessments and advice on making spaces and buildings more accessible.

If you have concerns about the safety or wellbeing of a child or adult please contact your local KAB Rehab team or you can contact your local authority using the following links:bettter together final version

Kent County Council 

 Medway Council  

London Borough of Bromley

To find out more about safeguarding adults please use the links below to access your local Safeguarding Adults Board. These Boards are responsible for making sure adults, particularly those with a disability or whose age or other conditions limit their communication, are safe from harm and abuse.

Kent and Medway Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB) - Kent and Medway Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB)

London Borough of Bromley - Bromley Safeguarding Adults Board (BSAB) 

Purple crocuses with text saying 'Leave a Legacy' underneath

Three men dressed as a carrot, bunch of grapes and a tomato

Young visually impaired boy holding up his artwork with the text 'Wall of thanks' underneath