We require an experienced Marketing & Communications Manager to help take KAB to the next level and achieve our ambitious goals.
As Marketing & Communications Manager you will be leading the communications for the Charity. You will be part of a fantastic team, working closely with the Senior Management Team (SMT) and reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). This role will be responsible for raising the profile of the Charity and promoting our work to supporters, volunteers, funders, partners and the wider public. This is a varied and demanding role encompassing the full marketing and communications mix, including press and PR, digital, campaigns, fundraising and service communications and internal communications.
We are looking for an experienced, confident and results-driven all-rounder who possesses exceptional writing skills and a track record in PR and creative marketing. The individual will be an excellent project manager, able to develop and implement both external and internal communications projects. A self-starter who is strategically minded and able to take the lead as necessary, they will be comfortable collaborating with staff and stakeholders at all levels. Above all, they will have the skills and passion to engage people in our mission and bring our work to life with flair and creativity.
To apply, please download an application pack or call Eithne Rynne, CEO on 01622 691357 for an informal discussion.
Closing date for applications: 9am, Monday 1st April 2019.
Interview date: Week commencing Monday 8th April 2019
Hours of work: 35 hours per week (element of flexibility with working hours, negotiable)
Based at: Maidstone Sight Centre, 72 College Road, Maidstone, Kent, ME15 6SJ
Salary: £28,961 - £32,173 per annum.
- KAB’s marketing and communications to ensure we can meet our strategic aims now and in the future.
- Leading the development of the marketing and communications strategies to support the organisation.
- Leading and delivering the marketing and communications strategies.
- Providing hands-on marketing support to deliver KAB’s programmes, projects and campaigns.
- Supporting the Fundraising Team to maximise KAB’s future potential for income growth.
- Supporting the Client Services Team to ensure KAB is maximising opportunities to prevent sight loss and support those that are visually impaired in leading independent lives.
- KAB’s internal communications to engage staff and volunteers.
- Supporting KAB’s centenary activity in 2020.
Duties and Key Responsibilities:
Strategic marketing and communications
- Develop and implement creative communications strategies to help KAB promote our work, attract supporters, help prevent sight loss and support those who are visually impaired lead independent lives.
- Conduct regular audits of our communications activity, analysing audience growth and impact in order to inform the communications strategy.
- In conjunction with other key staff, draft and oversee the organisations marketing content and collateral, including leaflets, posters, newsletters, articles, blogs, programme reports, website copy and annual reports.
- Create and manage a communications calendar and ensure regular and consistent posting on all social media platforms.
- Provide regular reports to the CEO on marketing and communications activity, with results plotted against specific and quantitative KPIs.
- Develop and lead on a communications plan for 2020.
Branding and website
- Review current branding and key messaging to ensure it is forwarding KAB’s strategic goals.
- Develop clear and consistent brand and messaging for all areas of the organisation and ensure consistency across the teams.
- Ensure website and relevant online tools offer clear and compelling content that effectively supports KAB’s objectives.
- In conjunction with other key staff, review the current KAB website and work with the Fundraising and Client Services Team to ensure that it is optimized for their needs, implementing the necessary changes.
- Development, design and distribution of creative content including illustrations, videos, photographs, etc.
- Consult and co-lead with specific programme managers and Fundraising Managers to set and implement communication goals that will help advance their project goals.
- To develop and manage branding and messaging for 2020 activity.
- Develop and lead the organisation’s internal communications strategy.
- Draft and oversee internal communications and newsletters as required.
- Contribute to strategic conversations and relevant output documents.
- Draft briefing documents and talking points for staff on projects/events in advance of interviews and presentations.
- Develop relationships with key regional media to secure and grow media coverage both online and offline.
- In partnership with other key staff draft and oversee press releases.
- Generate coverage of KAB’s work in the press.
- Identify opportunities for speaking engagements (undertake speaking engagements) and other opportunities to further our strategic aim and cultivate relationships.
- Design and oversee literature relating to public events designed to raise KAB’s profile.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of developments across the sector.
- The post-holder will be working in a developing environment and they will therefore be required to undertake other appropriate duties as necessary for the efficient operation of KAB.
- The role will require occasional travel to meeting and events. Occasional weekend or evening work may also be required and time off in lieu will be given.
These are the normal duties which the employer will require from you at the date of your employment. However, it is necessary for all staff to be flexible in this respect and all employees may be required from time to time to perform other duties which are required for the efficient running of the organisation.
- Experience of working in a communications role (in a non-profit organisation would be advantageous).
- Good understanding and experience of the full marketing and communications mix, including web and social media, events, branding, campaigns, press and publications.
- An exceptional writer and editor, able to produce crisp, accurate and engaging copy for a wide range of audiences, and to proofread to a high standard.
- Excellent project management and organisational skills, including experience of working on complex projects and meeting tight deadlines.
- Strong design, marketing and presentation skills.
- Ability to absorb key information quickly and work well with a small team in a busy working environment.
- Be able to take a concept through to successful outcome including detailed planning and budgetary considerations.
- Proven track record of delivering an effective media and marketing campaigns.
- Good understanding of internal communications and how to engage staff.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to think strategically.
- Ability to work with web content management systems and blogging platforms.
- Proven success of strategic planning, project development and implementation and the ability to define and set challenging but achievable targets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate, inspire, persuade and influence effectively – both verbally and in writing – at all levels.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with the ability to work independently, to be proactive, motivated and adhere to deadlines.
- Understand financial management and have the ability to develop, manage and analyse budgets, with the support of the Finance Department.
- Sound IT skills, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Explorer and the ability to be administratively self-supporting.
- An understanding of Fundraising.
- Ability to maintain a sensitive and professional approach towards colleagues and service users, mindful of confidentiality and anti-discriminatory practices.
- Ability to travel independently across the area of service.
- Flexibility to work some irregular hours as demanded by the requirements of the post
- Empathy with KAB’s aims and values.
- A professional marketing qualification.
- Educated to degree level.
This job description is not exhaustive, but is provided to assist the post holder to know what her/his main duties are. It may be amended from time to time without change to the levels of responsibility appropriate to the grade of the post and in discussion with the post holder.
KAB is an equal opportunities employer and is a Disability Confident Employer.